Welcome to Tom Burke's personal page
2017 marks my 41st year as a Volunteer with the Samaritans and the 15th year as runner in our Annual 5k Run and Family day. Our life savings services are provided through your support and generosity - you can choose to participate as a Donor, Runner or Walker.
MY PERSONAL GOAL IS $5,000 in support of the Samaritans 5K Run/Walk for Suicide Prevention on Saturday, September 23rd.
I am participating out of respect to the courage of the approximately 25,000 people that have honored me by sharing their unbearable pain with the hope that by doing so it has lightened their burden and allowed them to carry on in their darkest hours.
All proceeds help fund Samaritans' life saving services, including the 24/7 Helplines, Community Education and Outreach, and Grief Support Services for those who have lost a loved one to suicide. These vital services are available locally to the families, friends and neighbors, free of charge. Samaritans answers calls from Greater Boston, MetroWest, the State Wide toll free number, and the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
YOU CAN HELP ME PREVENT SUICIDE BY CLICKING ON THE DONATE NOW BUTTON TO SPONSOR MY EFFORTS IN MEETING MY FUNDRAISING GOAL.
Did you know...
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US overall, the 3rd leading cause of death for people ages 15-24, and the 2nd leading cause of death for people ages 25 - 34
- On average, there is one completed suicide every 12 minutes in the US
- There are 4 times as many suicides as homicides per year in Massachusetts
- All of Samaritans' services are free to the community
- Samaritans' efforts to provide mental health support and reduce suicide are multi-faceted and focus on prevention, intervention and providing support following a suicide loss
- Samaritans now offers crisis services to thousands of those in need of a listening ear via phone, text message and online chat, conducts hundreds of suicide prevention workshops and community outreach seminars per year, and provides a variety of support services to those bereaved by suicide
Thank you so much for your support, you are helping to save lives!
If you think this page contains objectionable content, please inform the system administrator.